Stylish Rope Tutorial
Today I’ll show you how to make a stylized rope using Illustrator.
What You’ll Be Making:
- Ellipse Tool
- Rotate Tool
1. A. Use the Ellipse Tool to draw a circle (by holding shift).
B. Draw a three circles vertically so they fit in the original circle. Thus each small circle has 33.333% the size of original circle.
C. Use the Shape-Builder Tool/Pathfinder to cut out a C-shape from all the combined shapes.
D. Copy and reflect the shape towards the other shape. Move the shapes as shown below.
2. A. Move several copies (of how many you want) down if such a way the C-Shapes will form an S shape. Lower the opacities of the shapes could help precisely move the C-shapes. Make a copy of some of the shapes for later.
B. Use the Shape-Builder tool to combine shapes into a rope-like structure as pictured below.
3. A. Move over two C-shapes to form an S-shape. Draw some black-filled circles inside the shapes’ “hollow” centers as shown below.
B. Copy a circle over the left circle as show.
C. Select the circle’s left anchor-point and delete it.
D. Select the semi-circle and click Shift+X to quickly switch the stroke and fills of the object so that the black fill will turn into a black stroke.
B. Click OK then press Cmd/Ctrl+D to transform again. Rotate the black-stroke object several times but stop till one copy is between the two black circles such that it touches both of them. Then rotate about the center of the other circle and make the angle -10° or so.
C. Rotate several times again and stop when the black-stroke object stops intersecting the S-shape object.
D. Delete the unnecessary parts (circles and s-shape) and group all the black-stroke objects together.
5. A. Copy over all the different parts that comprise the rope structure as pictured below.
B. Copy over and line up the black-stroke group under one other shape and select them both then right click and choose Make Clipping Mask.
C. Continue this clipping mask process for the other rope parts.
D. You should four separate clipped rope parts as seen below.
6. A. Add a black stroke to the rope structure.
B. Move over the clipped objects over to the rope structure. If their behind it (make sure it’s still selected), right-click and choose Arrange>Bring to Front.
C. Continue to move over the clipped objects and rotate/reflect if necessary.
D. When your pieces are all in the right places, make a final color change if needed.
Posted on April 3, 2011, in Experiment, Illustrations, Pathfinder, Shape-Builder, Shapes, Strokes, Updates and tagged C-shape, Circles, Clipping Mask, Rope, Rotation Point, S-shape, Stylish, Transform Again. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.